An eclectic blog about beads, beading and beyond



Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Beading tales and trivia - record breaking beads


I'm not sure what the longest piece bracelet is that you have ever seen but can you believe an 80 metre long 'bracelet'. It's true! Alayna Salter a UK designer and musician strung 80 metres of beads into the world's longest 'bracelet' and in doing so broke the Guinness World Record for the world’s longest chain of beads! (6 Jan 2008) I didn't even know that there was such a record until I stumbled upon it yesterday. Alayna reportedly said, '“If you’re brave and have a great idea, use your initiative and just go for it”.



For those of you considering going for the record the minimum length of chain required to enter is 50 metres (or 164 ft for those still working with inches and feet). If you do decide to try do let me know. Or you may prefer to try the record for the largest number of beads in a mosaic. You would have to create one with more than 18,231 beads. This was what the last reported record holder I could find ( Reem Al Gurg (UAE), Dubai) managed in 2007.

Do you have any beading records? Know of any in your local community? I'd love to hear about them.

Sources
http://exposekenosha.com/2009/04/13/lemon-street-vs-the-guiness-book/
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/adjudications/090106_Longest_chain_beads.aspx

1 comment:

Lisa Crone said...

Hi there! I just saw your sunset sea choker on etsy, WOW, WOW!! Fabulous!

Dax Designs - now on Byhand.me Artisan Co-op