An eclectic blog about beads, beading and beyond



Thursday, August 4, 2011

Puzzling beads and Nelson Mandela

Just as I was hurrying through the airport in Johannesburg to board my plane to leave South Africa there in front of me stood Nelson Mandela. Not surprisingly, I forgot momentarily about the flight for home, searched out my camera and snapped away. There wasn't much time to admire this extraordinary piece of beadwork 'in situ' so it's great to have the photos. Nelson Mandela is an inspiring person  - he holds over 1000 awards and 115 honorary degrees for his efforts to make the world a better place - so it's not suprising that beaders are some of those inspired by him. If you'd like to see some of the other beadwork inspired by Mandela here are some links to just a few pieces:
Nelson Mandela has also had many places named after him, Nelson Mandela Bay being a good example and you'll see in a moment why I mention it in this blog. Exploring the links between Mandela and beadwork I stumbled across a free Nelson Mandela Bay jigsaw puzzle which features a woman beading. Beader or not, its fun to do.

Click to Mix and Solve

2 comments:

AsteropeBC said...

What a cool find - thanks for sharing!

Krafty Max Originals said...

Oh my goodness, that is amazing! Even my kids are impressed!! Thank you so much for sharing this!! ~KM

Dax Designs - now on Byhand.me Artisan Co-op